January 8, 2000
Colombia, South America
- After arriving at the Bogotá Airport, I will be visiting Capitol Municipal Palace and the cathedral on the main square, the Plaza Bolivar. Bogotá also contains the Gold Museum, with its unique collection of over 100,000 pre-Colombian artworks
- After spending most of the day visiting these, I will be driving 3-hours to Rancho Cardonal.
- There is a beach-like environment at the ranch.
- Then, I will be driving by car the whole day to get to Nevado del Ruiz.
- I will be spending a night at a hotel on the volcano at the 4-meter above sea level position.
- Early in the morning, I will be climbing to the top of the volcano, which is 5,700 meters above sea level.
- Then, I will be whitewater rafting down Rio Recio from 5.3 meters above sea level.
- After I reach the end, I will be travelling back to Rancho Cardonal by car, which is only a 1-hour drive.
- I will be taking a culture tour to San Augustin and Tierradentro.
- These are two pre-Colombian Indian cultures.
- I will be staying at a nearby hotel when I go to those places.
- Tierradentro, in the southwest of the country, has beautiful man-made burial caves painted with pre-Colombian geometric patterns. In the same region, Silva is a beautiful Indian town.
- After spending another night at a hotel, I will be returning to the Bogotá Airport where I will return to my home.